GRAND GESTURES

We must admit to ourselves that grand gestures have a way of programming our opinions about someone. But what about the grand gesture by another that programs your own opinion about yourself? Be my guest!


I strongly believe we all get moved by grand gestures... Well, at least most of us.


An earlier version of me would have said grand gestures don't move me. But I've discovered most of what I thought about myself didn't withstand the test of time (a nonchalance to grand gestures included).


Now, even the simplest gestures have me almost babbling. Talk more of something grand like buying me the phone I so need or the laptop I sorely desire (which is worth millions of naira) or just booking a world tour for me. Whoop! That makes you the fulfiller of dreams, I'll love you for life (just kidding!)


Emmm, Why did I even start this talk? I was thinking about how someone did something and they said it was because they loved me. Going over our history, I felt that gesture was too mundane to make me sold out on their love.


In a storybook idyllic life, the grand gesture of love a man can make to a woman is to marry her. Yeah, I sort of believe that applies in real life too. Although I understand a lot of variables come into play and sometimes, it's best a marriage doesn't happen.


What would be a really grand gesture for you? What's that thing someone would do that would make you totally won over to their side? The thing that would completely buy your trust?


Oh! We always talk about people doing things for us. How about us doing the grand gesture for others? Would you? What would it be? The grand gesture you'd do for that boy, girl, man, woman, you love? What's the big thing you'd do for that friend you claim is so dear to your heart? What about your family? Ever thought of doing a grand gesture for them?

I didn't come here to pressure you though.


While meditating on all this, The Nazarene came to mind. He is the Greatest of all time, doing the grandest of grand gestures; one none of us can ever beat. He doesn't even want you beating it, He just wants you to accept it, own it, and let the truth of it shape your life. Before He did it, He kept singing it in the ears of his friends. I wonder whether they really understood it then. I'd say the reality dawned on them when He went ahead and 'called their bluff'. He'd told them: 


Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends._ John 15:13 KJV 


Wow! Profound, yeah? He laid down His life! A compelling beauty of this is, you and I are partakers of this gesture! He wasn't doing it just for the twelve or for those who thronged around him at that time. He did it for all who would ever become His friends (by believing in Him). 


This is the one grand gesture that shapes our identity in the most potent way. Somehow, it means everything if you accept or resist this grand gesture.


This grand gesture wasn't about the 'gesturer' trying to curry our favor or prove His love? Or was it? Perhaps it was a bit of that and more. He was rescuing us from ourselves. On our own, we'd keep struggling with insufficiency, inadequacy, not being enough, not measuring up to Abba's standards. This gesture would make us see that we were enough, superabundantly loved and worth the life of the Only begotten Son of God. How precious!


This one grand gesture gave us a right standing with God; opening up access to the Father. Bringing us into sonship, making us accepted in the Beloved. Now we can live the fullness of life God designed for us to live. We can freely express Divinity. We can be effortlessly and extraordinarily fruitful, just by leaning into the benefits of this grand gesture!


I'm grateful for this one Grand Gesture. It supersedes anything anyone could ever do, good or bad, to/for me. Walking in a consciousness of this goes a long way in making my life more meaningful, more grounded, more sure.


For, when storms come and challenges threaten, I call up the knowledge of this one grand gesture and I know I'm covered. He will never leave me nor forsake me. He's given His best, all I have to do is keep receiving!


Thank you for Your Love, Jesus. Thank you!



u!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HYPOCRITE

The Client

SOLDIER BOY 2